Sunday, August 17, 2008

Thomas Shirt & Lily Horrocks Marriage

Whilst we were away the marriage certificate of my great grandparents arrived. I was hoping that it would have my great grandfather's army number on it but no such luck. I'm running out of documents to send for now. They were married on Third June 1909 at the Register Office in Salford, Lancashire. Thomas Shirt - 29 years - Widower -Labourer Bleach Works - 29 Thursfield Street, Pendleton - George Shirt (Deceased) - General Labourer - Lily Horrocks- 25 years - Spinster - 29 Thursfield Street, Pendleton - George Horrocks - Retired Coal Miner. The witnesses were James Green & Catherine Heron.

Tom was married previously to Ann Jane Green who died in childbirth. Their only daughter Hannah was raised by her maternal grandmother so I'm presuming the witness James Green is some relation. I've had a look on the 1901 census & there is a James Green living in Whitehough, a small hamlet between Chapel-en-le-Frith & Chinley. This is the same place where Thomas Shirt was born & grew up. (Both Thomas & Ann worked at the Bleachworks in Whitehough. It was called JJ Hadfields and was bought out by Dorma in the late 70's early 80's.)

1901 Census, Whitehough, Derbyshire
James Green - Head - 44 - M - Soldier - Worker - CELF
Margaret A Green - Wife - 41 - M - CELF
Ann J Green - Daur - 20 - Folder (Bleachworks) - Worker - CELF

So there is a good chance that James Green, the witness, was in fact Tom's father-in-law.

I think this may be the WW1 Medal Roll index card for Tom Shirt as I know those who lived in Chapel-en-le-Frith signed up to the Notts & Derby Regiment & I'm sure my Dad told me he had been made a Sergent. It looks as if he entered the army on 28 Feb 1915. Another date on there is 28 Mar 1819 I which I knew what it all meant. More research don't you know :O)

No comments: