Wednesday, January 07, 2009

You Can't Live Without Electricity

OMG I'm freezing! The electrician has been here since 8:30am putting in a new fuse box. I managed to stay in bed where it was as warm as hot toast when it's just popped out the toaster, but 11 o'clock was my limit. I'm hoping the battery on my lap top will last for about an hour & a half to give my brain something to do. Not only that the heat from the battery (or wherever it comes from) may just keep me warm. It's amazing how we rely on electricity. The biggest problem for me is no tea!!! No hot cup of delicious Typhoo tea, sweetened with a spoonful of sugar :O( I can't have a shower so can't wash my hair (as I do every morning, you should see the state of me!) I can't have any Shredded Wheat because I'm such a pansy that I can't eat it without hot milk on it, warmed in the microwave for precisely 1 minute 20 lol. I can't have toast cos the toaster is electric. I can't turn on the TV or radio. I can't do the hoovering or ironing the washing or drying. What the hell did the human race do before electricity was invented??? This will make me so grateful for all the things I have for a few days at least. Then I suppose I will revert back to taking it all for granted.

When I was a kid, growing up in the 70's, we used to have power cuts all the time. It must have been a nightmare for my parents but I used to love it. We would have candles melted onto saucers for light, Luckily we had gas fires & a gas cooker, so food, hot drinks & heating were no problem. We would play cards or get the board games out like Monopoly & ludo. My favourite was playing a game where we would take turns in reciting nursery rhymes and see how long you keep it going with out repeating the same one twice. I know some very obscure nursery rhymes to this day :O)

Little Polly Flinders sat among the cinders
Warming her pretty little toes.
Her mother came & caught her and
whipped her little daughter
for ruining her nice new clothes.

I had a little nut tree nothing would it bear
but a silver nutmeg and a golden pear,
the King of Spain's daughter came to visit me
and all because of my little nut tree.

See what I mean! Is it any wonder I have a head full of rubbish lol. Electricity has a lot to answer for!

Nevermind we are on the countdown to our holiday in the Maldives ~ 88 days!! ~ I can't wait. I've been following the daily weather on my laptop and the temperature hasn't dropped below 28 degrees ~ bliss :O) It's not called Summer Island for nothing :O)

No comments: